On January 30, Litigation Partner David Bizar will co-present a webinar on "Observing the Rights of Service Members in Lending and Foreclosure Matters." The session is sponsored by the ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel and the Center for Professional Development.
The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides a number of unique protections to military personnel and their families when dealing with creditors in lending or foreclosure issues. Many lenders and their counsel may be unaware of the extent of their obligations toward service member customers under the SCRA, potentially exposing creditors to liability. The Economic Opportunity Subcommittee of the House Veterans Affairs Committee recently conducted hearings on several proposed SCRA amendments. The ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel (LAMP) has assembled a diverse faculty for this webinar to provide a range of perspectives on the interplay between the SCRA and the lending industry. Webinar attendees will learn:
- the specifics of the SCRA as it pertains to creditors;
- how the mortgage foreclosure crisis has specifically impacted military families;
- examples of cases where lenders have failed to observe SCRA rights of military members;
- the work being done by the Department of Justice to enforce the SCRA;
- how the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is working with military families and lenders to resolve credit matters;
- advice for lenders’ counsel on best practices when handling issues involving service members; and
- the impact of proposed amendments to the SCRA recently introduced before the Economic Opportunity Subcommittee of the House Veterans Affairs Committee.
For more information and to register, click here.