Employers who participate in multiemployer pension plans continue to face uncertain times. The ultimate impact of the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act (MPRA), and how critical and declining plans will implement this Act, are unclear. Withdrawal liability assessments continue to soar to record highs even as market returns have generally been positive. And the PBGC has just proposed a new rule that seeks to affirm the high cost of an employer’s initiation of arbitration to challenge a withdrawal liability assessment.
On June 7, Seyfarth’s ERISA litigation and employee benefits attorneys will provide the audience with an overview of withdrawal liability basics from an employer perspective and a general update on recent developments. This presentation will give employers what they need to know.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Historical background, purpose and framework of multiemployer pension plans
- Who is considered an employer?
- What is a “withdrawal” and the withdrawal liability process
- Special Industry Provisions
- Enforcement and Litigation