Fraud and Abuse
Seyfarth Shaw healthcare attorneys have deep understanding of the federal fraud and abuse laws, including the federal Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law and False Claims Act.
That knowledge extends to state fraud and abuse laws, including fee splitting and corporate practice of medicine. We utilize that knowledge to counsel providers, and companies that do business with providers, on:
- Structuring physician group practices, hospital-physician joint ventures, physician ancillary services, and physician compensation arrangements
- Complying with fraud and abuse laws in financing and M&A transactions
- Developing and implementing meaningful compliance plans
- Conducting internal investigations
- Defending RAC audits, ZPIC audits and Medicare, OIG and other governmental agency investigations
- Analyzing self-disclosure issues
- Responding to actual or potential whistleblower issues
- Anticipating future trends in the healthcare regulatory environment
Our healthcare lawyers serve as adjunct professors at law schools, and we regularly present and publish on fraud and abuse issues to the healthcare industry and the legal profession. We are very active in the American Health Lawyers Association, as well as state health law organizations where we practice.
The approach we take to fraud and abuse compliance is straightforward and practical. With regard to governmental investigations, we recognize that in many cases, you can win the battle but lose the war, and that in every case, the lawyer has to be mindful of the legal fees. We also understand the high stakes involved with an external investigation, and we are tenacious in helping our clients achieve an optimal outcome.