Seyfarth maintains 10 offices across the United States, as well as international offices in London, Shanghai, Melbourne, Sydney, and Hong Kong. We represent numerous multinational clients with global operations, and we frequently assist with cross-border projects. Our Global Mobility Team is staffed with a group of professionals that includes licensed lawyers in Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom and Ireland, six paralegals, and a Senior Global Mobility Specialist who coordinates all aspects of our practice for our clients.
For countries where we do not have a physical presence, we have established business partnerships with premier providers of global immigration services, currently covering more than 90 foreign jurisdictions. In addition to established working relationships with these providers, we offer a key advantage in that we are not tied to a single provider but rather, can choose the provider which best suits our clients’ needs. Our Senior Global Mobility Specialist works closely with our business partners to ensure quality, monitor case progress, and communicate with our clients (rather than “hand them off”).
Lastly, our clients experience seamless, real-time case access and reporting functionality, because all of our teams use the same, sophisticated case management system.
Canadian Outbound Services
Seyfarth’s Canadian Team continues to grow with our clients’ demand for this service. We have a highly experienced Canadian business immigration team with extensive experience handling Canadian cases, including:
- Securing work permits in Canada for all categories under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations, including NAFTA and GATS professionals, Significant Benefits to Canada, intra-company transfer applications, off-campus, and post-graduation.
- Securing permanent residency status under the Federal Skilled Worker class, the Canadian Experience Class, the Provincial Nominee Programs, and the Québec selection system.
- Advising and preparing Citizenship applications and Permanent Residency Card applications.
- Securing pre-approvals for work permits from International Mobility Worker Units across Canada.
- Securing positive Labour Market Impact Assessments from Service Canada.
- Providing advice on the Business Visitor category in Canada and the narrow interpretation of “business visitor.”
- Providing advice and counsel with regard to Canada’s evolving compliance regulations and review process.
United Kingdom Outbound Services
Seyfarth Shaw also has a U.K. immigration solicitor in-house with ten years of experience exclusively practicing U.K. immigration law. Our U.K. immigration services include:
- Advising clients in relation to Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer and Tier 2 General requirements and procedures.
- Assisting clients with entry clearance visa applications at British diplomatic posts worldwide and further Leave to Remain applications within the U.K.
- Counseling employers with respect to Sponsor License applications, including preparing and filing applications, and managing the sponsor license activities on behalf of sponsors post-approval.
- Undertaking compliance audits and providing strategic advice in relation to sponsor obligations and the prevention of illegal working regulations.
- Recommending corrective action in relation to clients’ internal systems to ensure ongoing compliance and streamline migrant tracking and reporting procedures.
- Advising private clients in relation to a broad range of issues including: Sole Representative, Tier 4 Student, Indefinite Leave to Remain, Naturalization, and European family-based applications.
- Delivering bespoke training to Human Resources teams to provide an overview of the Points Based System or to address specific areas of interest or concern for clients.
General Global Outbound Services
Led by our in-house global attorney, our Global Team is poised to assist our clients’ global mobility needs regardless of the destination. We offer significant and centralized in-house knowledge and insight into the practical aspects of obtaining work permits and entry documents for foreign country assignments. In terms of substantive experience preparing and filing the actual global case, we utilize (in addition to our in-house capabilities) several extensive networks of immigration specialists in foreign countries. This networking model gives us the flexibility to work with the top immigration experts in most foreign countries.
Corporate mobility managers, compliance officers, and in-house counsel must be vigilant in order to prevent their organizations from breaking foreign-country immigration laws by allowing “stealth” workers to masquerade as business visitors. Increasingly, nations around the globe are tightening their laws and imposing criminal sanctions and fines on companies and individuals who circumvent the rules requiring work permits by seeking admission as business visitors. The extreme competitive pressures and deadlines on businesses are no excuse to violate a country’s immigration laws by abusing the business visitor category. Seyfarth’s Global Mobility group can help your company spot misuse of the business visitor category. We can also suggest the fastest possible avenues to procuring legitimate work visas and residency in your organization’s destination countries.
While many firms focus exclusively on U.S. immigration, we are able to draw on our extensive experience in obtaining global visas and work permits in other countries to provide comprehensive immigration services for employees headed to foreign-country assignments. Whether seeking assistance with the relocation of a single executive or with the assignment to a foreign country of an entire business unit, clients need legal counsel who understand their immigration needs at both the local and international levels.
Permanent Residence & Naturalization
Our global team provides advice and counseling as well as case processing for foreign permanent residence applications. For employees on long-term work assignments, we assess the options for obtaining permanent resident status in that jurisdiction and advise on the advantages of obtaining permanent resident status in comparison to long-term work permit and resident permit status. We also advise on permanent residence options for dependent family members and advantages such as employment authorization and related benefits.
Our global team provides advice and counseling as well as case processing for naturalization options in foreign jurisdictions, including derivative citizenship rights based on ancestry and dual citizenship options. In conjunction with Seyfarth's International Labor & Employment practice, we can advise on related issues such as global taxation and employment law considerations related to naturalization in a foreign country.
With our broad geographic scope and in-depth experience, the Business Immigration Group is able to provide high-quality, sophisticated services wherever our clients are located.