Dawn Lurie, senior counsel in Seyfarth's Immigration Practice Group, will present two sessions at the 2018 American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Employer Compliance and Worksite Enforcement Conference in Boston, MA. The 2018 AILA Employer Compliance and Worksite Enforcement conference, a comprehensive two-day event led by nationally recognized experts, is designed to educate attendees on the most pressing compliance and enforcement issues facing employers and attorneys and provide essential tips and best practices for how to deal with them. The first day of sessions will focus on employer compliance in immigration law, while the second day will address worksite enforcement in both beginner/intermediate– and master-level tracks.
The first session, Introduction to Electronic I-9 System, will discuss how many employers have switched to electronic I-9 systems to become more efficient in their onboarding process. Not all systems are equal, however, nor are all compliant under the current regulations and guidance. Panelists will provide an overview of the issues to be considered when reviewing and advising employers on the compliancy of electronic I-9 systems. Topics will include:
- What Is ICE Requesting During I-9 Investigations?
- What Do the Regulations Require for System Compliance?
- Common Electronic System Concerns
- Onboarding Systems vs. Stand-Alone I-9 Systems
- The Pros and Cons of Going Electronic
- Monitoring and Compliance Within E-Verify, the Link to IER
- IER Fines and Penalties
- Discovery, Pleading, and Jurisdiction
- What to Expect of the Possibility of Litigation