Religious discrimination claims against employers have increased precipitously in the past few years, and employees are refusing to leave their religious practices “in the parking lot” when they come to work. A bill pending before Congress, the Workplace Religious Freedom Act, also will make it easier for employees to prevail upon their religious accommodation claims against employers. Learn the legal issues surrounding this often contentious topic and the practices some companies have put into place to address religion in their workplaces. Among the issues that will be discussed at the Breakfast Briefing are:
- What are the most common types of requests for religious accommodation?
- What is the current law regarding when employers must provide an accommodation in response to such a request?
- How will the Workplace Religious Freedom Act change the law?
- What steps are companies/law firms taking to address this issue or not address this issue?
- What are affinity groups and what are the risks and rewards of recognizing them?
- Where is the slippery slope? What are the risks and vulnerabilities in tackling this issue and where are problems arising?
Registration and Breakfast 8:00 - 8:30 a.m.
Program: 8:30 - 10:00 a.m.