An employer faces a variety of risks for failing to use reasonable care in hiring or retaining employees. The background check process is a valuable way to gather information about a prospective or current employee and provide an alert to potential problems. At the same time, an employer must be aware of and comply with a growing list of state and federal statutes and regulations that limit access to and use of this information. This Breakfast Briefing will focus on recent changes in the law affecting background checks, and discuss practical advice for employers in conducting background checks.
Discussion topics will include:
- Why employers should conduct background checks and what they should include
- Tips for working with credit reporting agencies
- Conducting background checks for applicants and current employees
- Recent changes in the Massachusetts CORI regulations and the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Tricky issues and traps for the unwary
Registration and Breakfast: 8:00 a.m.