Devjani Mishra, associate at Seyfarth Shaw, will be presenting at the upcoming ioma audio conference, Pregnancy Leave: How to Avoid Discrimination Complaints. The conference will cover:
- What every company should know about the Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 and the FMLA
- Why employers that are subject to the FMLA should not have a “maternity leave policy” (hint: overall leave policies are better!)
- What you should do—and not do—when an employee tells you she’s pregnant
- How ADA disability laws apply to pregnancy situations
- Discrimination pitfalls—women who apply for promotions before going on maternity leave; pregnant job applicants; same-sex parental leave—and how to steer your way legally around them
- How to address excessive absences for doctors visits or pregnancy-related illnesses
- What to do if a pregnant employee or new mother refuses to return to a full-time schedule
- Laying off an employee who is on maternity leave What accommodations (i.e. part-time work or desk duty) must be made and for how long for pregnant employees
- Do employers have to grant women with high-risk pregnancies more leave time than what is allowed to other disabled employees?
For registration information, please visit the event's website.