Updated: September 28, 2006
Information we collect
To better serve site visitors, Seyfarth collects two basic types of information:
- Personally identifiable information: This is information that personally identifies one individual from another (for example, names, e-mail addresses and other contact information). This information is voluntarily provided to us by our site visitors and is used by us for the purpose of fulfilling requests or inquiries or processing event registrations.
- Aggregate user and tracking information: This information gives us insights on how our site visitors use our site. This data is anonymous and does not contain any personally identifiable information. We use this information to ensure that our website, e-mails and marketing efforts continue to appeal to our site visitors.
Information you voluntarily provide to Seyfarth
Seyfarth only collects personally identifiable information that you voluntarily provide, when you sign up to attend a seminar or receive communications from us, or send us an e-mail. Examples of such personally identifiable information that you provide to us may include, among other information, your name, physical address, email address, phone number, credit card number, credit card security number and, website user name.
Seyfarth only requires personally identifiable information from you when it is needed to complete your request for information, complete an online transaction (e.g., online registration for an event), or when you voluntarily decide to register to receive communications from us.
Other information Seyfarth collects
When you visit the Seyfarth website, we may automatically collect some information about your visit using cookies, log analysis software and other aggregate tracking technologies.
How Seyfarth uses the information we collect
Personally identifiable information
Seyfarth may use your information, including personally identifiable information, for business purposes including, without limitation, for the following business purposes:
- To improve the quality of your Seyfarth site visit.
- To complete your event registration.
- To bill your credit card when you register for an event.
- To credit your credit card in the event that we issue you a refund.
- To send registration confirmations.
- To send marketing communications and informational newsletters that you have requested, opted-in to or otherwise agreed to receive.
- To send surveys to you.
- To update your user account with any information we receive from you or from third-party sources about you.
Also, Seyfarth may use your information, including personally identifiable information, as follows:
- We sometimes contract with other companies and individuals to perform functions or services on our behalf, such as hosting the Seyfarth site, sending email messages and informational newsletters and administering surveys. They may have access to personal information, such as email addresses, needed to perform their functions, but are restricted from using it for purposes other than providing services for Seyfarth.
- In the event Seyfarth, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that Seyfarth goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, website user information, including personally identifiable information, would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquiror of Seyfarth or any of its assets may continue to use your personally identifiable information as set forth in this policy.
- We may share any information you submit to us when we have your consent to do so, or when we need to share it in order to provide the information or service you requested.
Non-personally identifiable information
Seyfarth may use your non-personally identifiable information it collects during your site visit or during your interaction with our e-mails for other purposes including without limitation, the following:
- To better monitor in aggregate the effectiveness of our online and offline advertising and marketing campaigns.
- To better monitor in aggregate how visitors are using our site.
- To ensure that our website and e-mails continue to provide relevant content that is interesting and useful to our visitors.
- To uncover and diagnose problems with our site and servers.
- For day-to-day system administration needs.
What you will receive from Seyfarth
We only want to send you communications and information that you expect to receive or that you have requested. All of our e-mail contains clear information on how to unsubscribe, and we honor all requests as quickly as possible. Below are examples of communications you may receive from us:
Registration confirmation e-mail messages
When you register for an event via the Seyfarth site, you will receive an e-mail confirming your registration.
Marketing or promotional e-mails
If you sign up for one of our marketing or newsletter e-mails, we will send you the marketing e-mail and/or newsletters that you have requested.
We only send these e-mails to site visitors who sign up for one of our mailing lists or who agree to future contact regarding communications from Seyfarth. These mailings contain clear information on how to unsubscribe.
If you are receiving communications from us and wish to unsubscribe, either follow the unsubscribe instructions in the communication or follow the opt-out instructions below to inform us that you do not want to receive e-mail from Seyfarth.
Seyfarth may also send you communications via postal mail. If you are receiving postal mail communications from us and wish to unsubscribe, either follow the unsubscribe instructions in the communication or follow the opt-out instructions below to inform us that you do not want to receive e-mail from Seyfarth.
Answering your inquiries
If you send us or phone in a question or offer a suggestion, we may use your e-mail address, telephone number or postal address to respond to you.
How Seyfarth protects your information
Seyfarth understands that the safety of your personal information is extremely important to you. Accordingly, Seyfarth uses both electronic and other measures to keep your information protected from unauthorized access. Due to the nature of the Internet and related technology, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information and Seyfarth expressly disclaims any such obligation.
About this policy
Policies for Users of the Site Under Age 18
The site is not intended for use by individuals under 18 years of age. Users under the age of 18 should get the permission of a parent or guardian to use the Seyfarth site. Seyfarth does not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from children under the age of 18 at our site, except for the limited circumstances described below. In the event a child under the age of 18 submits a question to us at our site and identifies his or her age, we may use the child’s email address for the sole purpose of responding to the child’s question on a one-time-only basis. However, we will not use the child’s email address for further contact and we will remove the address from our records after we have initially responded.
Accessing and updating your information; Opting out
Visitors who would like to correct, update or delete any personally identifiable information may contact us with a request to do so at SeyfarthShaw@seyfarth.com.
Similarly, Seyfarth site users or members who wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to our marketing and informational communications can do so by using the subscribe/unsubscribe options or sending an email to SeyfarthShaw@seyfarth.com.
We may take a reasonable period of time to respond to any request to update or modify any information, or to opt out of or unsubscribe from any communications. If you request the deletion or modification of your personal information maintained by us, such information may be retained for a period of time in our backup systems as a precaution against system failures. Some information may be retained for longer periods as required by law, contract or auditing requirements.
If you have questions
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
233 S. Wacker Drive, Suite 8000
Chicago, IL 60606-6448
Attention: Marketing and Business Development