This past year we have seen important changes in Massachusetts and federal laws affecting our employment relationships. It is critical for Massachusetts employers to keep abreast of these rapidly changing laws and court decisions governing the workplace. Make sure you are not left behind! At our interactive training session, we will highlight and explain these developments, and offer practical tips to help you navigate through agency and court proceedings and avoid potential pitfalls.
We will discuss:
- Important rulings from the National Labor Relations Board such as the Kentucky River decision defining who is a statutory supervisor and therefore not eligible to participate in a collective bargaining unit;
- Two recent Massachusetts Appeals court decisions limiting the application of employee claims for breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing;
- Recent case law expanding and redefining the scope and viability of retaliation claims;
- Practical tips for those involved in proceedings at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination;
- New thorny issues concerning the taxation of settlements in employment cases;
- The new electronic discovery rules, and how these will necessarily impact your record-keeping practices; and
- New limits on employees’ ability to win emotional distress damages in discrimination cases;
Please be our guest for cocktails and light hors d’oeuvres after the session to continue our discussion and mix and mingle with friends and colleagues.
Registration: 3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Program: 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. with cocktails to follow